The innovative PET bottle base for still drinks
The new Sidel StarLite PET bottle base for still drinks offers your packages:
- More bottle-base stability and resistance
- More resistance to extreme temperatures (hot and cold)
- More lightweighting possibilities
- More energy savings
- More design flexibility
Without compromising on the bottle integrity or the safety standards of the still beverage inside.
The Sidel StarLite bottle base utilises two proprietary PET design innovations:
- Edge Beam™, which is a specific groove structure that improves base stiffness
- Smart Disc™, a disc structure that reinforces the base to prevent deformation.
Both innovations have been designed and tested by Sidel packaging experts, using proprietary bottle-validation technology to increase rigidity in the base and reduce plastic use. The base design can be adapted to all Sidel blowing platforms, and applied to existing production lines. The base is especially suited for water and juices, and under certain conditions can also be used for other still beverages.
Sidel StarLite™: Proven Value
In tests the Sidel StarLite base resulted in:
Open All ▼
More bottle-base stability and resistance
- An increase in top-load dent resistance of up to 30% when the bottle is on a pallet, and up to a 55% increase in side-load resistance when the bottle is on a conveyor or in a vending machine, for example. Overall pallet integrity also increased by up to 50% during transportation.
More resistance to extreme temperatures
- making it especially useful for storage in harsh conditions: Up to 25 days without bottle deformation in 50°C conditions, and up to a 50% decrease in base rollout under frozen conditions
More lightweighting possibilities
- PET savings of up to 1 gram for a 0.5 litre bottle (equivalent to EUR 350,000 cost savings per year*), and up to 2 grams for a 1.5 litre bottle (equivalent to EUR 700,000 cost savings per year*).
More energy savings
- For 0.5-1.0 litre bottles, only 16-20 bars of pressure were required for blowing, versus up to 25 bars previously. This means a reduction of up to 25% in air pressure, which can result in a cost saving of up to EUR90,000 per year**.
More design flexibility
- The StarLite base is also compatible with nitrogen drop technology, meaning that lightweighting can be pushed further. Furthermore, if the bottle pressure generated by the nitrogen dosing is 0.8 bar or under, StarLite can replace the traditional mini-petaloide base, usually associated with carbonated soft drinks in the mind of consumers.
Open All ▼
Sidel Starlite™: A flexible solution
The Sidel StarLite base is especially suited for water and juices, and under certain conditions can also be used for other still beverages.
Open All ▼
More solutions for base
- Incorporated into different bottle designs.
- Applied to existing bottle designs or retrofitted to existing production lines, using Sidel's accompanying StarLite base moulds.
- Used for all Sidel blowing platforms and output speeds, including the new Sidel Matrix™ systemfor liquid packaging, and the following filling solutions: regular, ultra clean and aseptic.
- Used with nitrogen drop technology (up to 0.8 bars nitrogen blowing pressure), which further increases opportunities for lightweighting.
Open All ▼
Contact us to find out what Sidel StarLite can achieve for your carbonated beverages.
*Based on an SBO 20 Universal S2 running at 6,000 hours of production per year, with a PET cost of EUR 1,600 per ton.
**Based on a 1.5 litre bottle produced on an SBO 20 Universal S2.