SIDEL STARLITE™ FOR CARBONATED SOFT DRINKS
After the successful launch of the Sidel StarLite PET bottle base for water, now carbonated soft drinks (CSD) bottlers can enjoy similar base-weight reduction and improved bottle performances.
Reduced energy use and higher production output rates are the additional benefits of this award-winning bottle base.
Tested and proven
To create this innovative base, Sidel's packaging experts analysed different geometrical solutions to achieve optimum strength for the CSD bottle base. These designs were run through computer simulations followed by real-world physical tests to create the final design. This design includes four key patents covering the slopes, ridges and truncations. Ten different Sidel customers have already trialled the StarLite CSD bottle base and achieved the following benefits:
Open All ▼
Better protection against stress cracking
- Under the rigorous International Society of Beverage Technologists (ISBT) stress-cracking test protocol, the StarLite CSD base lasted 30% longer for 0.5 litre bottles, 50% longer for 1.5 litre bottles and 60% longer for 2.0 litre bottles.
Better base resistance
- The base successfully completed the ISBT 24-hour creeping test under 45°C conditions, compared with 38°C required under standard testing. This means the base is less likely to burst during production, or deform during transport, which can unbalance pallets.
- Base weight can be reduced by up to 20% for 0.5 litre bottles (from 5 grams average base weight to 4 grams), 19% for 1.5 litre (from 9 grams to 7.3 grams), and 17% for 2 litres (from 12 to 10 grams). This can lead to cost savings of up to EUR 331,000 per year for 0.5 litre lines, EUR 563,000 per year for 1.5 litre lines and EUR 662,000 per year for 2 litre lines, based on Sidel data.*
Reduced energy use
- Under controlled conditions the base can be blown using down to 16 bars of air pressure versus 25 bars average for 0.5 litre bottles, 18 bars versus 26 bars average for 1.5 litre bottles, and 20 bars versus 28-30 bars average for 2 litre bottles, creating up to EUR 78,700 cost savings per year, based on Sidel data.**
- Due to its compatibility with the new Sidel Matrix™ system, the output rate for the base is up to 2,300 bottles per mould per hour for 0.5 litre bottles, 2,250 bottles per mould per hour for 1.5 litre bottles, and 2,000 bottles per mould per hour for 2 litre bottles (depending on conditions and specifications).
Easy to blow
- The new base is easier to blow than previous CSD bases because it can be done within a wider range of parameter settings on the blower, whilst still achieving desired blowing performance.
Easy to implement
- The base can easily be incorporated into existing bottle designs by Sidel's packaging engineering team. It can also be retrofitted onto existing production lines and moulds, using Sidel's accompanying enhanced StarLite CSD mould bases and line conversion services. The accompanying Sidel StarLite CSD mould features an enhanced venting design for optimized cooling capabilities, and was developed in tandem to reach the desired high StarLite CSD bottle base performance levels.
Open All ▼
Available for all PET bottle sizes up to three litres, the Sidel StarLite CSD base can be used with all Sidel blowing platforms and output speeds, including the Sidel Matrix system for liquid packaging.
Contact us to find out what Sidel StarLite can achieve for your carbonated beverages.
*Based on an SBO 20 Universal2 running at 6,000 hours of production per year, with an output of 2,000 bottles per hour with a PET cost of EUR 1,600 per ton.
**Based on an SBO 20 Universal2 Eco producing 2 litre bottles with 6,000 hours of production per year with a reduction in air pressure of 10 bars, without the use of an air recovery system at a cost of 0.08€/kwh.